Today I want to give you a quick tip that will make a massive difference to your website.
If you’re using WordPress (and you should be if you are serious about SEO) for your website then you should make a change to your settings in your dashboard.
Well, WordPress by default works well ‘Out Of The Box’ (i.e. on a new fresh installation) but there’s still a few tweaks that you should be making. And this one tweak will make a big difference to your On Page SEO.
The Importance Of Permalinks
What I’m referring to is the permalinks. This in a nutshell, is how the inner pages on your website appear.
When you install WordPress on your website the standard permalink setting is:
http://www.mysite.com/?p=123 <-- this part after the / is the permalink.
Quick Start Guide
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Login to your WordPress back end
2. On the dashboard, scroll down to Settings
3. Select Permalinks
4. Click on Custom Structure and paste the following into the box:
5. Now scroll down and click the ‘Save Changes’ button
And that’s it!
Every time you now make a new post or a page, your inner page won’t look like a random set of characters but instead will take the name of your title.
So if your title of your page was ‘Our Services’ then your page would now look like:
The Benefits Of Permalinks
The benefit of this is 2 fold:
1. First it makes it easier for the search engines to identify what your page is about and this will give your inner page a rankings boost.
2. When it comes to indexing and being found by end users, a page that says /our-services is way more assuring than /?p=225.
Setting up your permalinks will assure your users that they’re on the right page of your website.
Did you enjoy this post? If so then share the love by hitting one of the buttons below.